6.13.2010

Master Bath Details: Part Deux



First of all, I've had a wonderful response from everyone on the Master Bath Redo and it makes me giddy!!!  My mom came over today and saw it for the first time and was a little shocked, to say the least.  "It's not that I didn't think you were capable of it, but..."  she said... uh huh...


I think the one thing that brings the room together are the chevron rugs that I picked up at Kohl's for $4.99 each (practically free at 80% off).  I stumbled on these somewhere in blogland a month or so ago and loved them, so you can imagine my surprise when I found two of them stuck back in a corner with men's socks.  When I dig, I dig deep, folks.  They are a dark, smoky aqua color and look nice on the slate floor.  Plus, they are soft and absorbent.


Next, obviously is the vanity bench.  I found it at the Christian Ministries Thrift Store looking like this:


I'm sure the wood has been painted, oh, 90 times over, and it smelled like death.  I was certain there would be small woodland creatures living in it as I was ripping off that horrendous fabric.  Some spray paint and $1.99/ yd fabric and it was probably the easiest part of the whole project.



What was not easy were the towel bars. I was sweating like a pig putting these darn things up.  Because of the way the fasteners worked, I had to basically hang on them with all my weight in order to get them to "click in" as the directions described.  Just a little click... whatever!  I got these at HomeGoods for $11.99 each and the brand is Moen


I'm not a big fan of towel bars and rings on walls.  One night I was cruising Rate My Space and saw the bars on the cabinets and loved it.  The glass shelves were something that I wanted in the room from the very start. I wanted something shiny to hold my perfumes and little things that make me happy. I got these at Wal-Mart for $11.00 each. YUP!



The small makeup mirror was a compromise because I really wanted a square one, but couldn't find one.  It was a splurge at $14.99 at HomeGoods.  I love the lithograph look of the book by my favorite author, Margaret Mitchell, and placed the broach that went on my wedding dress beside it.


To complete the look, I filled an apothecary jar with soaps from my travels, and sea salt.


I used Centsational Girl's Flat Fixed Roman Shade Tutorial  and although mine in nowhere near as perfect as hers, I was happy with the way it turned out.  After all, it was my first sewing project that didn't include denim and a hemstitch.  The fabric is Liz Claiborne and had been $54.99/ yd. so you can imagine my excitement when I got it for $6.99/ yd. and then got 50% off that with a coupon at JoAnn's.  I bought every bit of it and still have some left for pillows or something when I redo the master bedroom.  It's a very heavy, thick upholstery fabric and has a lot more color than the pictures show. I also added a quick window casing.


I added two vintage maps of London and two photos of Westminster Abbey that I took back in February when my mom and I visited there.  London is amaze!


Finally, the trinkets and treasures in the Ikea cabinet are a mish-mosh of things that I've had forever, thrown in with a couple new ones.  I've been on the hunt for coral forever and found this one on Captiva. I had quit looking three shell stores back because I refused to pay $80 for a piece of real coral.  I almost passed out when I found this cake stand at Ross for $14.99.  I've been looking for a cake stand for awhile, too. Double score!


The antique butter dish was passed down to me by someone (thank you, whoever you are) and the photo is of Pont de Alexandre in Paris.

These came from Goodwill for $1 each:


And finally, I stole borrowed the mouthwash in the decanter idea from Centsational Girl, as well.  I should start paying her royalties.


All in all, the accessories were inexpensive because I reused things that I already had.  I didn't buy a single towel and the art was printed off the computer.  I knew that my budget was better served on the cabinet, paint, and fixtures, so I had to make the other things work.  This bathroom reno came in at just under $450.

xoxo
-sarah


2 comments:

  1. I love the coral in the cake stand!! Everything turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you! I love it too :) I put a few things in there, but they just didn't look right. I stuck the coral in there and it looks like some sort of specimen.

    ReplyDelete