12.29.2013

Fair Isle

Isn't it funny how things that we used to think were lame and uncool are now trendy and stylish?  That's exactly what I think every time I see a Fair Isle sweater.  While they used to be what your scary Uncle Bob wore to Sunday dinner, they are now staples in numerous collections from J.Crew to Isabel Marant.  My girlfriend and I actually pondered last week, "What does Fair Isle really mean?  Is it a place?"  The answer to that, my little wiki-lovers is this: Fair Isle is not only a style of knitting with multiple colors of yarn, but it's also a tiny island in the north of Scotland.  They were made famous by Edward VIII who wore Fair Isle tank tops in the 1920's.  Sounds hot huh?  I bet he had some short-shorts on with that snazzy tank top.  I need to holla at him! 

How's that for a history lesson dolls?

So, this sweater isn't the traditional picture that comes to mind when I think Fair Isle, but it's as close as I feel comfortable getting.  It doesn't have knitted snowflakes or any of that crap on it, but I love that it has 3/4 sleeves and that it's gray.  Two of my favorite things in a cold weather top. The other super cool thing about it is that it looks like it's knitted inside out so it has a deconstructed feel.  Too bad my accessories get stuck in it every two seconds, but I can deal.  The real find of the century were these boots.  I have been looking for a perfectly simple and chic pair of cognac boots for years.  Not too brown and not too red. Cognac, y'all.  The leather is so soft and you don't feel like you are wearing ankle shackles.  They're like butta'.  Do yourself a solid and type in BRSALE40 for 40% off.  My little Christmas gift to you!






Sweater: J.Crew | Blouse: J.Crew | Vest: J.Crew | Skirt: Banana Republic | Bag: K. Sera | Boots: Banana Republic | Necklace: Factory | Bracelets: Stella & Dot, Cara's, Bauble Bar

xoxo,
sarah









1 comment:

  1. Amazing sweater! Great way to pair it with the bright red skirt. Really brings out the colors and design. I always look back at photos of myself from back in the day, and pine for that cool rhetro top or skirt that I had back in the day. Except then I probably didn't appreciate it as much as I would now. haha :)

    XOXO

    www.alinitinidaily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete